It's Dish time, when we round up some of the hottest (and in this week's case, the coolest) openings in town. Go ahead… you know you want to.
(1) Pinkberry: The froyo onslaught continues. This time, West LA gets their very own Pinkberry on Sawtelle, finally and officially. Let the traffic problems ensue! 11301 W Olympic Blvd. [Chowhound]
(2) Gelato Bar: For the Pinkberry haters, Gail Silverton (sister to Mozza's Nancy Silverton) quietly opened the Gelato Bar in Studio City a couple months ago. Although it's a few weeks before winter, it's really starting to get some buzz. All of the equipment came from Italy, as did her gelato maker. 4342 ½ Tujunga Ave. [EaterWire Inbox]
(3) The Hollywood Gelato Co.: What's with all the ice cream shops opening in December? The Hollywood Gelato Co. just opened in Los Feliz. Eastside Chowhounds love the space, but sit precariously on the fence about the gelato, which is shipped from Michigan. Michigan: The Gelato Capital of America. 1936 Hillhurst Ave. [Chowhound]
(4) Vinum Populi: If gelato and froyo are invading every other neighborhood, then wine bars are invading Culver City. Vinum Populi, a new Italian-themed spot, just broke on the scene. Bree from Triplecreme writes: "All the servers and bartenders wear those pinch caps that Michael Corlene wore when he was laying low in Sicily, which go nicely with all the old framed photos of Italy, which complement the Italian salltellite TV playing behind the bar." Leave the bottle, take the cannoli. 3865 Cardiff Ave. [Triplecreme]
(5) The Kansas City BBQ Company: Kansas City-native Mike Oxley opened this new barbecue spot opened near Universal Studios, where he slow smokes the meat, makes his own dry rub, and has all the requisite sides. [Gayot]