Lobby closed earlier this year
Love it or hate it, Sam Nazarian's SBE Group is a force to be reckoned with. They'll continue to open trendy hot spots, people will continue to fill them, and, yes, others will never get in. Expect two more Katsuyas, a couple new supper clubs, a hotel with another celebrity chef, and the LA copycats in Vegas, most happening next year. SBE's VP of Marketing, Michael Doneff, gave us some scoopage:
1) Foxtail: It's referred as “the Brown Derby for our generation" in Nation's Restaurant News. Doneff says the two-floor space next to Dan Tana's (the former Lobby lounge) will be "Art Deco meets '60s London" with lots of mirrors and velvet. The first floor will the restaurant and lounge, open early for dinner, drinks, etc.; the upstairs will be a dance club. Chef Antonia Lofaso (currently at the Abbey, previously Spago) created a "European brasserie menu." Foxtail will open in Jan-Feb 2008. We forgot to ask "Why Foxtail?"
3) SLS at Beverly Hills: SBE tapped Jose Andres to run all the food and bev for their first LA hotel (the former Le Meredien), including a restaurant, lounge and catering. Andres worked with Ferran Adria in Spain, and his ThinkFoodGroup operates Jaleo, Oyamel, Zaytinya and Café Atlántico in Washington D.C. The hotel and restaurants will probably debut in June '08.
4) Former Privilege: Doneff says details aren't finalized, but another supper club---a restaurant that morphs into a club---will open on the corner of Sunset and Crescent Heights in summer '08. Philippe Starck will do the design of the still unnamed spot.
· SBE positions itself for growth [NRN]
· Sam Nazarian, Dreamer [~ELA~]