WEST HOLLYWOOD: After four years, the desert import Doug Arango's closed today, but not for good. After a new design---relaxed, wood table tops, wood chairs, booths, banquettes, natural color palette, according to the press release---the new Melrose Bar & Grill will open in its place. Same owners, same chef, cheaper menu (everything under $25), plus "chalk-board specials," and it will stay open all day. Sounds like the owners just want something more neighborhood, more casual. Although we haven't been in quite a long time, friends swore it was still getting steady business, even with added Burger Nights and Tarot Nights (special nights = struggling). The restaurant's newsletter says it will reopen the week of Sept. 18, PR says on Sept. 24, and The Knife says "around Sept. 20," so take your pick.
The restaurant newsletter, sent to us by several readers:
"After 18 years and 3 locations we really wanted to create something new... so...here's what's going on: Doug Arango's is currently closed for lunch and dinner and is receiving a makeover! When we re-open the week of Sept. 18th, our new name will be:
MELROSE BAR &GRILL
"just west of Robertson"
* same owners, same chef-owner, same staff, same good food
* everything on the menu under $25
* "chalkboard specials" will include raw fish appetizers, chowder, Maui beef burger, fish specials and much more.
* OPEN ALL DAY!
* relaxed and contemporary atmosphere, wood table tops, wood chairs, booths, banquettes, natural color palette
* over 600 selections on the wine list including a "user-friendly-short-list"
* great beer selection and classic cocktails
* flatscreen tv for the game of the moment
That's the latest for now...More to come!
Any questions give us a call: Tel. 310.278.3684
Thanks for forwarding this to your friends!
We look forward to seeing you in two weeks!"