No need for an excuse to imbibe tonight, it's time to celebrate Mexican independence day, better known as Cinco de Mayo! Feel free to knock back a few Tequila shots, sip a salt-rimmed margarita, and toast to the day the French were driven out of Mexico. Here are a few spots around town that are celebrating the alcoholic way, salute!
1) The Gorbals: Mexican-inspired food with a Jewish twist. Small plates $7-$14, Tequila and beer specials from 6PM to midnight. 501 South Spring Street; 213-488-3408
2) Mexico Restaurante y Barra: Dos Equis and Tecate Beer $5 Drafts, $15 pitchers, $5 appetizers and tacos, $8 fresh squeezed Cazadores margaritas. 8512 Santa Monica Blvd.; 310-289-0088
3) Las Perlas: $4 Tecates, shots of El Jimador Tequila, $6 Herradura Antiguo, $7 Herradura Blanco, and $6 margaritas. 103 East 6th Street, downtown; 213-988-8355
4) The Spanish Kitchen: $3 Tecate draft and cans, 12 top shelf Tequila shots and margaritas $5, live entertainment including masked Mexican wrestlers from Lucha Va Voom. 826 North La Cienega Boulevard; 310-659-4794
5) Santa Monica Cinco De Mayo Cocktail Crawl on Broadway - Copa d’Oro, The Yard, Bar Chloe, and Ma'Kai: $5 margaritas all night long.
6) 5th Amendment Alehouse: $3 Corona, Red Stripe, Blue moon, $4 pints. 129 Broadway, Santa Monica; 310-395-6351