Welcome to The Doors, Eater's newest foray into the minds of nighttime gatekeepers around town. Today we check in with Julius Friedman, bossman outside at the newly opened private lounge at Drai's in the W Hotel. What say you, Julius?
1) Name? Julius
2) Where do you work? Right now just where u saw me.
3) How did you get into the biz? Out of desperation.
3) Where have you worked in the past? Tropicana @ roosevelt, LAX, privilege, Hyde, Area, Foxtail, Hwood, Playhouse, Guys n Dolls, Drai's.
4) Do you consider your job dangerous? It can be at times, yes. I know a guy who got his jaw broken, I've been sucker punched a coupe times and I've been in some physical altercations but nothing too serious. I've def been egged (never hit) spit at and threatened a lot but my security guys love me so I feel safe.
5) What should somebody never do to try to get into your club/bar/lounge? Tell me where you're from and that you get in everywhere there.
6) How do you decide who to let in and who not to let in? I judge people based on their radness.
7) Who do you need to know to get in? Me.
8) Favorite places to go out? I hate going out.
9) Someone you don't let in comes up to you and says, "I'm gonna kick your ass!" What do you do? I don't know probably get shoved behind security and just watch.
10) Would you ever open your own club? Hell no.
11) Where do you hope to be in a year from now? I don't really know how to answer that.
12) What are you doing tonight? My laundry.
Who should we sidle up to next? Suggestions welcome.