1) Mid-City: As if you really need another reminder, for those living under a rock, the late Amy Pressman and Nancy Silverton's long-awaited, seasonally slanted burger project, Short Order, opens tonight at 5PM inside the Original Farmers Market. Here are some shots inside and out, preview the menu here. Status: Open tonight. 6333 W. 3rd St.
2) Chino Hills: From plywood to fully finished product, pictured up above is Dripp, that shmancy new coffee bar now serving within The Shoppes at Chino Hills. Founder Rabih Sater has created a vintage meets modern boutique coffee experience where the sum of all odd parts equals a comprehensive whole. Of course all the requisite coffee geek gadgetery is on hand from a custom-built Japanese drip bar to two Japanese Oji coffee dripper (rare in this country), Dripp doesn't roast its own beans though sources from Intelligentsia and Espresso Republic.
A seemingly random twist to this story is the addition of a "Cream Bar" where ice cream is served alongside freshly-baked cookies. So, yes, you can make your own ice cream sandwiches a la Coolhaus. Drip is open Mon-Thu 6AM to 11PM, Sat 6AM to midnight, Sun 8AM to 8PM. Status: Open yesterday. 13855 City Center Dr.
3) Venice: Kogi creator Roy Choi keeps the sun shining in Venice via his reimagined take on Beechwood, now known as Sunny Spot. The menu sounds like A-Frame on a Caribbean vacation thanks to plates like roadside pineapple pork chop with Red Stripe beer glaze; and double coated, double fried jerk wings. Barman Brian Butler, also of A-Frame, stirs up a flurry of mostly rum-based intoxicants. Status: Open tonight. 822 Washington Blvd.
4) Santa Monica: Milo & Olive is the fourth child entering the Josh Loeb and Zoe - Nathan Rustic Canyon, Huckleberry, Sweet Rose Creamery - family. Which means a few things. 1) This is most definitely a farm-to-table establishment like all the rest, and 2) if Huckleberry's baked goods are any indication, this 26-seater pizzeria and bakery is poised to whet appetites and draw lines (sigh, Huckleberry on a Sunday at 1PM). As a recap, Milo & Olive only launches its bakery part today, lunch and dinner to come on December 1. Status: Soft open today. 2723 Wilshire Blvd.
5) Agoura Hills: A new brew-pub called The Lab Brewing Co, unrelated to The Lab by USC, opened yesterday on Agoura Road in Agoura Hills, reports Grub Street. So far, five beers are brewed in-house and chef Moez Megji serves an elevated gastropub menu inclusive of venison white bean chili and Kobe meatloaf. Status: Open yesterday. 30105 Agoura Rd