It's getting late. With Thanksgiving three days away, it's time to order the pie, if you haven't already. Here now, a hand-picked selection of pies from around Los Angeles with an emphasis on holiday-themed creations, locally sourced produce, and hand-made goodness. Be forewarned: many bakeries stop accepting orders for Thanksgiving Day, November 24, today. Call first.
1) Huckleberry Bakery. Zoe Nathan's selection of sweets this year includes Pumpkin Pie and Maple Walnut Pie. While there are pumpkin cakes and pumpkin muffins, take-and-bake coffee cake and sweet scones, it's all about the pie.
2) Apple Pan. A Los Angeles standard for burgers and pie, one must not forget the flakiness of the Apple Pan's crust. Available in Apple, Cream or Pecan.
3) Magnolia Bakery. While not an LA-original, they do make a better-than-decent pie. Plus, flavors include all of the classics: Double crust apple pie, apple crumb pie, pumpkin pie and black bottom pecan.
4) Rockenwagner. There is a lot of pumpkin happening here: Pumpkin levain bread, pumpkin seed bread, pumpkin coffee cake. But there's also pie: Pumpkin square tarts (serves 4-6), pecan pies and fruit pies.
5) simplethings. The thing about simplethings is that it's the only place in town where you can buy mini pies in a dozen different flavors. Can't pick between pumpkin and pecan? Go for the cutie pies. Individually sized pies, mid-sized pies and large pies are all on offer in pumpkin, pecan, peanut-butter, s'more, apple, and salted caramel.
6) Proof. An Eastside favorite for good reason, Proof turns out unique and homespun creations daily. Their crusts are the shortest, flakiest crusts in town. This year, pick from winter squash pie, walnut pie or baked chocolate custard pie.
7) Bouchon Bakery. Thomas Keller doesn't mess around. Here we have classic apple and classic pumpkin, straight out of a magazine editorial, picturesque, plump. The croissants make a nice Thanksgiving breakfast offering, too.
8) Farmshop. Jeffrey Cerciello is offering a classic pumpkin pie, pecan chocolate chip and apple cranberry this year in addition to the full Thanksgiving dinner menu.