Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a new regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Arcadia: Daikokuya Arcadia is/was due to open Mid April, but has been delayed due to "health deptment approval" etc. A company rep says they are still hoping for an April debut. This is a new location for the famed downtown ramen abode. 1220 S Golden W Ave., Arcadia
2) Monterey Park: After a two month build out and two weeks of staff hiring, Younique Cafe opens today at 4PM. Previously this space served as AAA Seafood which remained dormant for a year before Younique, a Hong Kong Style cafe, signed the lease. 220 W Garvey Ave., Monterey Park
3) Monterey Park: Dragon Mark, previously located at 301 W Valley Blvd in San Gabriel until last May, re-opened at PP. Pop's space on N Garfield Ave early last month. Note: When visiting, one will not see any signs for "Dragon Mark" as the English signage clearly still shows "PP Pop." Confused? So were we. A phone call confirms this is the same Dragon Mark as was on Valley Blvd, and is also related to Supreme Dragon in Rowland Heights. Expect the same plump dumplings, and a 1AM closing time. This might be the best bowl of niu rou mian (Chinese beef noodle soup) after hours of downtown drinking. 127 N Garfield Ave., Monterey Park
4) Alhambra: Be Be opened in the old Chuan Yu space on April 8 after a few weeks of painters plastic. This is a Taiwanese cafe and the opening specials are pork chop rice and chicken cutlet over rice for $4.99. 525 W Valley Blvd., Alhambra
5) Diamond Bar: Finally (dare we say: an English exclusive?), a little gem on the way to/fro Coachella this weekend if you decide to take 60 -- Awoolim Kimbap Factory. Over half pound (10 oz to be exact) of expertly wrapped and cut Korean style sushi rolls (kimbap) for $4.99. Chose from tuna, bulgogi, burdock, fish cake and two other fillings. If you stay and eat, white miso soup is served free. They opened a second location in Norwalk, CA this past March. These may be pricey for Korean style sushi pre-packaged rolls, but the quality is really unrivaled by any other kimbap found in Korean supermarkets. Call 909-598-9688 for large orders. Located inside H-Mart 2825 S. Diamond Bar Blvd., Diamond Bar