Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a new regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Monterey Park: The, 4th, no, 5th -- we lost track -- Banh Mi Che Cali in WSGV opened Mid-April, replacing Citi Cafe, previously immortalized by the YouTube Hit: "Welcome to the SGV." Citi Cafe opened Sept of '09, and lasted longer than LA Bistro, another Hong Kong-style cafe that debuted a mere half mile away and birthed a month later than Citi. At this BMCC, with less larder items and an enclosed kitchen, sit-down pho is apparently the focus. 745 East Garvey Avenue
2) El Sereno: Red Hot Kitchen, the Korean-taco fusion shack very much loved by CSULA kids, has completed a management change. With new owners comes new hours, slightly varied decor, and a more concise menu. They're also hiring.
4625 Valley Boulevard
3) Monterey Park: Due to business licensing issues, Dorado is closed after mere weeks of soft opening. Door signage states the eatery will reopen at the end of May. 440 S Atlantic Boulevard
4) Monterey Park: Monterey Palace -- a popular dim sum animal house -- will open a second branch in San Gabriel at 114 West Valley Boulevard. Windows are still covered with butcher paper, but a restaurant rep (ie, the hostess at the original locale) advises they're aiming for a late May opening. 114 West Valley Boulevard
5) Alhambra: Cofftea's transformation into Ozero was finally completed after exterior signage went up. This Taiwanese-style tea shop expanded into Taiwan in '09, and the name/decor change reflects a brand consolidation. Expect a warmer, and "happier," tea shop coupled with excellent made-to-order drinks and new snack bites. Despite the press release, we still do not understand the meaning of Ozero, except to confirm this is not an Ukranian lake. 406 E Valley Boulevard
6) Alhambra: Good One Restaurant has shuttered. Originally thought to be undergoing a remodel, new signage shows Shanghai Village has moved in. This fleeting gem lasted all of 2 months. That could be a new SGV closure record. 1281 E Valley Boulevard