1) Pasadena: Eight months later, Pita Jungle has joined the queue on E. Colorado. The Arizona-based chain soft launched its first CA outpost last Friday and Brigham Yen was there for a first taste saying, "the service and food were both extremely good." If this location is a success, expect more Pita Jungles to pop up around LA. 43 E Colorado Blvd; 626-432-7482
2) Burbank: The newest chainlet of Hook Burger Bistro opened late last month on N Victory Place. Owners Brent and Bruce Reichard, also founders of the Habit Burger chain, are going for an upscale fast casual burger experience using thoughtfully source ingredients and serving a few craft brews. Dig Lounge decides that "the burgers are pretty standard fair for this burger vet, but the flavor is good. It’s not something worth a drive out to Burbank for, but if you happen to be shopping in the area, it’s conveniently located in the Empire Center." Additional eateries are planned for Pasadena, Woodland Hills and Thousand Oaks. 1731 N. Victory Pl; 818-847-2100
[Photo: Brigham Yen]
3) Downtown: Icon LA Ultra Lounge officially debuts June 1, but the venue held a soft opening party April 30. The two-level club and restaurant is located across the street from the Staples Center. Here's a look at the fusion menu and cocktails.
1248 S. Figueroa St; 213-867-6000
4) Downtown: Blogdowntown says that Night Toast Cafe, a new Mediterranean eatery and self-proclaimed "Home of the Jerusalem Bagel," has opened on Spring St. The restaurant serves hot/cold sandwiches, salads, and breakfast all day. 653 S. Spring St; 213-488-9944
5) Downtown: Schnitzly Glatt Kosher debuted its second location on 7th Street between Main and Los Angeles. Within the unfussy space diners can partake in an unfussy menu of schnitzel sandwiches, salads, and full plates. 119 E 7th St; 213-488-9511
6) Downtown: Green Hut Cafe started serving late April also on 7th Street but between Figueroa and Flower. Another lunchy place, GHC serves sandwiches, salads, wraps, and soups using "choice ingredients." 808 W. 7th St; 213-627-8166