Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.[Photos: 85°C: Joyce Li, all others: Sinosoul]
1) Hacienda Heights: The opening date for 85°C Hacienda Heights has been confirmed by its Taipei headquarters, August 13 marks the launch of the coffee shop's second US branch. Check out signage up above. Harry Potter lines will have nothing on this. 17170 Colima Rd.
2) Monterey Park: Dumpling 10053, touted by Jonathan Gold for seafood dumplings in 2005, recently shuttered. The restaurant will relocate to Atlantic Time Square directly across from Green Island and undergo a name change to Fortune Dumpling. Construction has begun. 500 N. Atlantic Blvd. #149
3) Montebello: The most ancient Armenian restaurant in Montebello, House of Kabob, is now shuttered. The eatery, established in 1979, faced fierce competition after another Armenian restaurant, Golden Skewers, opened in the vicinity. Rumors of closure swirled for months, but earlier this July, the phone line was finally disconnected. Chances are they will still be catering the Armenian food festival every May. 2110 W Whittier Blvd.
4) Monterey Park: Awesome Eatery has signed a lease at 501 W Garfield Ave. The previous tenant was the second branch of Phong Dinh, a Vietnamese restaurant known for baked catfish. No confirmation by owner on the exact type of Chinese(?) cuisine. 501 W Garfield Ave.
5) Monterey Park: Previously reported Fortune No 1 has waved bye bye. This one didn't quite make it even two months. 138 E Garvey Ave #A