Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Rosemead: Conveyor belt sushi just keeps rotating in LA, and now The Sakura has replaced Caga Sushi Factory. Located inside The Square Shopping Center, Sakura is offering shabu shabu in addition to kaiten sushi. During happy hour, 99-cent sake can be had. 8150 Garvey Ave. Ste 105
2) Alhambra: Gourmet Island, recognized by The JGold for its "feeding frenzy," has shuttered to be replaced by Sham Tseng Seafood and BBQ, a Hong Kong-style seafood joint slash roast house. Based on the name, this seems to be the second branch of previously mentioned Sham Tseng BBQ. 203 W. Valley Blvd.
3) Alhambra: After a month of remodeling, Bao Bao has taken over the old Be Be space on Valley Blvd. Telephone number and Taiwanese menu remain the same, but ownership did a switcheroo. Be Be is survived by its bigger, newer space on Garfield in Rosemead. 525 W Valley Blvd.
4) El Monte: It's been said that people turn to spicy food when the times are tough. Apparently times are tough because more Sichuan restaurants keep opening in the SGV. Hot Space Restaurant replaced Happy Thai and serves "Szechuan (Sichuan) Cuisine" along with" Specialty Hotpot." 9961 Valley Blvd. Ste B
5) Monterey Park: Tokyo Love has taken over the former Little Java restaurant space on S. Atlantic Blvd as of last week. Despite carrying the same name, this restaurant by East Los Angeles College is unrelated to Garden Grove's Tokyo Love. 2099 S Atlantic Blvd Ste J
6) South El Monte More signs of a bad economy. PDH, which opened at the old Pho Minh space only in November 2011, has closed. Calls to the restaurant last week were unanswered, and repeated drive-bys yielded views of the shuttered gates. 9646 Garvey Ave. Ste 108
7) Alhambra: One of the older Banh Mi Che Cali locations in SGV has shuttered. Paper store signage points to the other new locations in the West San Gabriel Valley. 647 W Valley Blvd.
·All Meanwhile, In SGV Coverage [~ELA~]