Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Rowland Heights: A newer and bigger MJ Cafe soft opened last week. The mini chain famous for its hand-shaken black tea lattes turned its original location into a Taiwanese hot pot restaurant last December and spent five months transforming its newly acquired flagship space. We reported the opening of its second space back in September, this is the third branch. 17521 Colima Rd.
2) Monterey Park: The lauded Bollini's Pizzeria just completed an expansion and the new accompanying deli section will open shortly. Unfortunately, there's still only one 1200 degrees Neapolitan pizza oven. This is the pizzeria's second expansion and Bollini's has tripled in size since 2007. 2315 S Garfield Ave.
3) Monterey Park: The previously reported Awesome Eatery is gone. Clearly not so awesome as it didn't even last six months. Remodeling has begun and the new incarnation appears to be the third branch of Mama's Kitchen (related to Eater 38 fave, Dean Sin World), set to open shortly. 501 W Garvey Ave. Ste 101
4) Monterey Park: Bon Marche Bistro, once an LA Times Find, shuttered last week. It has been immediately replaced by Only You Dumpling. The menu consists of six different dumplings (steamed or pan-fried) and various types of baos. For the rest of the menu, Beijing / Tianjin-style stir fries are offered. 331 W Garvey Ave. Ste D
5) Monterey Park: Szechuan Hot Pot opened last weekened directly across from Empress Harbor. This restaurant features dual purpose hot pottings grills (a la Cocary), allowing diners to simultaneously partake in meat swishing or meat grilling. Price for all you can dinner is $12.99, lunch is $5.99. Weekends and holidays are $1 more, as is grilled meats. 111 N Atlantic Blvd. Ste 349
·All Meanwhile, In SGV Coverage [~ELA~]