Downtown's Staples Center is easily the busiest sports venue in Los Angeles, with two highly rated basketball teams and a hockey team using it throughout the year. As both hockey and basketball playoffs are fast approaching, we've updated our guide to dining in and around Staples Center. It's important to eat well, whether you're watching the Lakers, Clippers or Kings.
Staples Center's Three Standouts
1) WP24: Go big or go home, right? Jack Nicholson does it, and so can you. Wolfgang Puck's 24th floor ode to Chinese food is a great way to start off game night. We recommend the Szechuan Style Prime Filet of Beef “Au Poivre." Not in Staples Center proper, but within walking distance. [On the 24th floor of the adjacent Ritz-Carlton tower]
2) Rivera: Chef John Sedlar's modern Latin cuisine is a classy way to eat before a big game. Reservations are highly recommended. [On the corner of Flower and 11th, a few blocks from LA Live]
3) Yard House: Get there early for a seat at the bar. Take advantage of happy hour and try the impressive selection of craft beers. The Baja fish tacos are a good bet, especially in the summertime. [Located within L.A. Live, adjacent to the Staples Center]
4) Rosa Mexicano: This higher-end Mexican chain offers some of the best margaritas within the immediate Staples Center vicinity. The pork nachos guacamole are good, sharable options. [800 W Olympic Blvd]
5) LA Market by Kerry Simon: Kerry Simon's farm-to-table concept at LA Live isn't entirely as lost as it could be. While it's in the center of a tourist trap, it manages to churn out some decent food. The bucatini, flatbreads and mezzo plate are especially good options. [Located within L.A. Live, adjacent to the Staples Center]
A Quick Meal at Staples Center
· Extreme Loaded Dogs: Get the Frito Pie Dog. (Section 118, Main Concourse).
· Corner Grill: Sandwiches and salads. (Section 119, Main Concourse).
· Shock Top Lounge: Sushi and snacks. (Section 113 & 118, Main Concourse).
· Camacho's Cantina: Mexican. (Section 117, Main Concourse).
· Budweiser Pub Whistlestop: Bud and fried snacks. (Section 108, Main Concourse).
· Outtakes: Sushi and Kosher sandwiches. (Section 104, Main Concourse).
· Wetzel's Pretzels: Pretzels. (Section 103, Main Concourse).