Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Monterey Park: Spice Spirit has opened at the Taipei Center plaza, across from Younique Cafe. The menu focuses on spicy Sichuan dry pot in the fashion of Tasty Dining which JGold enjoyed. 216 W Garvey Ave. Ste A
2) San Gabriel: Monterey Park's miniscule Hunan Restaurant has finally expanded. The second branch replaced Royal Chef Express which was a steam table take-out operations. 127 S San Gabriel Blvd.
3) Monterey Park: Seoul Tofu opened above Macchiato last weekend. It replaces the unpopular DJK BBQ. This location sported a "Leased" sign for over a year, but the actual debut was repeatedly delayed. 141 North Atlantic Blvd. #200
4) Alhambra: Canoodles, part of the Noodle World chain owned by restaurateur John Mekpongsatorn, has shuttered. Canoodles attempted several menu revamps in the last two years, but seemed to only pilfer patrons from its sister restaurant down the street. 46 W Valley Blvd.
5) Rosemead: Local darling Rose City Pizza, operated by SGV resident Brian Nittayo, is joining the craft beer circus by offering Ohana Brewery's Rhino's Redemption on draft starting today. Nittayo met Ohana's Andrew Luthi while nursing a post-work brewski at Spirit House, and the two decided to work together shortly after discovering they both attended the same SGV high school. 3588 Rosemead Blvd.