- Shion Aikawa, Director of Operations, Ramen Tatsu-Ya, Austin, TX. [Photo: Andrea Grimes/EATX]
- Mike Brown, chef and co-owner of Travail/Pig Ate My Pizza in Robbinsdale, MN [Photo provided by Mike Brown]
- Alyssa DiPasquale, General Manager and Sake Professional at O Ya in Boston.
- Jeremy Hoffman, Chef de Cuisine at Restaurant Eve in Alexandria, VA. [Photo courtesy Restaurant Eve]
- Ryan Lachaine, sous chef at Underbelly in Houston [Photo by Gary R. Wise]
- Matt Lackey, Executive Chef at Flyte in Nashville [Photo courtesy of Flyte]
- Jessica Largey, Chef de Cuisine at Manresa in Los Gatos, CA. [Photo courtesy Manresa]
- Mitch Lienhard, Sous Chef at Grace in Chicago. [Photo courtesy Grace]
- Jayce McConnell, Bar Program Manager at Snackbar in Oxford, MS. [Photo provided by Jayce McConnell]
- Brooks Reitz, General Manager of The Ordinary in Charleston, SC. [Photo by Rémy Thurston]
- Alissa Rozos, Pastry Chef at St. Jack in Portland, OR. [Photo by Dina Avila]
- Hourie Sahakian, Pastry Chef at Short Cake in Los Angeles [Photo by Elizabath Daniels]
- Mark Schieber, cook and kitchen manager at Forequarter in Madison, WI. [Photo by Emily Julka]
- Henri Schock, Owner of Bottlehouse in Seattle. [Photo courtesy Bottlehouse]
- Jason Wang, President of Xi'an Famous Foods in New York. [Photo by Daniel Krieger]
Ladies and gentleman, it is time. We are pleased to announce the Eater Young Guns Class of 2013, a group of 15 of the most distinguished young chefs, restaurateurs, sommeliers, and hospitality industry professionals in the country. These are the junior statesmen of the culinary world who have most distinguished themselves this year, and who are its next stars. Over the past two months, you've met many of them, and you'll meet the rest this week.
The class of 15 is comprised of four women and 11 men; seven chefs, three beverage pros, two pastry chefs, and three front-of-house leaders. The youngest on the list just turned 25 (Jayce McConnell). The oldest, with just four years in the business, is 38 (Ryan Lachaine). They represent myriad styles and 15 cities: Austin, Boston, Alexandria, Houston, Nashville, Chicago, Charleston, Oxford, Madison, Seattle, New York, Houston, Los Angeles, and the areas outside San Francisco and Minneapolis.
Representing Los Angeles is Hourie Sahakian (25), pastry chef at Short Cake:
Hourie Sahakian, 25
What she does: Pastry Chef, Short Cake, Los Angeles, CA
The Eater Young Guns Class of 2013 will be celebrated at a gala event in Los Angeles on Monday, June 24. Young Guns Eve, a public tasting event featuring many of the winning chefs, goes down the night before on June 23. Tickets are still available.