In 1987 Ruth Reichl, then at The Times, gave a mixed review to Four Oaks on Beverly Glen, the French restaurant (formerly Cafe Four Oaks) operated by "Henri Labadie (who was the first maitre d' at Spago), Michel Blanchard (who ran Le Castel in San Francisco) and chef Claude Segal (who went from Ma Maison to Bistango)."
But fast forward to the present and Four Oaks, on the market for $3.5 million, finally has new owners. After six years of non-use, Robert Walsh, a landscape designer and organic produce farmer, and Sandra Costa, a sustainable restaurant designer, have signed a 20 year lease for the property.
The building which houses Four Oaks was built in 1909 and has functioned as a restaurant in various incarnations for the last half century. Promising to maintain the venue's country charm with no major renovations to the structure, Walsh and Costa are moving in, reviving the Four Oaks name in about six months.
Walsh and Costa describe Four Oaks' cuisine as Italian/Mediterranean "plant to plate," where most of the restaurant's vegetables will be grown onsite. They're also planning to make their own olive oils, up to 15 varieties, which will be sold retail as well as used in dishes. In fact, they hope to open a small market/bakery with coffee and produce in the above pictured detached garage.
The Four Oaks real estate as a whole is pretty expansive and Walsh/Costa want to make good use of the space. They foresee a deli within the restaurant (that will deliver cold cuts to customers' homes), and want to convert parts of the building into a cigar bar, wine cellar, and a private dining room for 12. Downstairs will become a bar named after jazz musician Duke Ellington who once performed there. [EaterWire]