Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Rosemead: Pho Filet is finally opening branch number two. El Monte has long been the most active pho battleground in Los Angeles county, and judging from the perpetual lines, Pho Filet can finally announce itself the winner of the great 2008 Vietnamese noodle war. Five years later, Pho Filet is the first noodle shop from J Gold's pho round-up to expand; Pho Minh wasn't so lucky in 2010. Pho Filet will take over the rather cavernous space which Phong Dinh vacated. 2643 San Gabriel Blvd.
2) Walnut: Pieology is expanding deep into East San Gabriel Valley, taking over Bella Napoli Trattoria & Pizza. There will be at least three Pieology locations in SGV by the year's end. This branch is due for an August launch. 505 N Grand Ave., Ste E
3) San Gabriel: Michelle's Pancake has turned into a franchised Chinese dumpling chain called Da Qing Hua. Per DQH's restaurant literature, Manchu's first chained restaurant is aggressively seeking franchisees for US expansion. Could leek pockets and beef rolls really make it in every mall and airport in America? 706 W Las Tunas Dr., Ste B2-B4
4) Monterey Park: Open Door's new concept, Tokyo Fried Chicken, opened much earlier than previously reported. The new restaurant is slinging fanciful fried cluck at $21 for two, $31 for three. 122 S Atlantic Blvd.
5) Monterey Park: After just about one year, Tokyo Ramen called it quits last week. 812 S Atlantic Blvd.
·All Meanwhile, In SGV Coverage [~ELA~]