Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Alhambra: Nha Trang grand opened August 18. The chalkboard menu, carried from the first Nha Trang, shows a similarly sparse set of eats as the original restaurant, with Hainan chicken rice as a weekend-only special. This is Nha Trang's third branch. 417 W Main St.
2) Alhambra: The Grids soft opens today. This is the wafflewich concept previously reported. 1468 E. Valley Blvd
3) Alhambra: Dip's Grill grand opened August 14. The biggest menu changes here are the beer taps and the less fusiony Vietnamese dishes such as ban beo. 39 W. Main St.
4) El Monte: Oh Village took over Liang's Kitchen this month. The Chinese name, "over the mountain" is evocative of a 50s Taiwanese pop song. However, the menu seems pan-Chinese. 10131 E Valley Blvd.
5) Alhambra: Chengdu Taste suffered its first fraudulent credit card transaction this week and chef/partner Tony Xu tweeted the receipt of crime. How did management first became suspicious? An exceedingly high (20%) tip was left on a credit card issued in China. Xu tells his followers he has no problem feeding the hungry. Of note: the thief had the audacity to order additional take-out items and charge them to the card. 828 W Valley Rd.