Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Monterey Park: Kim Fung, one of the oldest restaurants in San Gabriel Valley, and among the first Teo-chew style eateries in the area, has closed after 30 years. Per management, the owners are retiring. 128 N Garfield Ave
2) Monterey Park: de cafe Baristas will start curbside coffee service in front of Atlantic Square on September 9, at 7 a.m.. Park along the plaza's white zone and there will be a stand ready with (hot or cold-brewed) third-wavey joe. 500 N Atlantic Blvd Ste 121
3) Monterey Park: Fu Yuan, known for its Chaozhou-style stuffed fish balls, apparently has caught fire, again. Also known as "Xi Xi Fishballs" as well as "Sweet Blanket," the restaurant was closed for all of 2010 and half of 2011 after the first fire. 305 W Garvey Ave
4) San Gabriel: Pho Ha Long grand opened at the end of August. The house dish are pho ga (chicken) and Hainan chicken rice, but management also touts "Northern" style Vietnamese food. 533 S. Del Mar Ave
5) Rowland Heights: Taiwan Banquet has launched inside Diamond Plaza. The focus here is less street food and more full service sit-down meals. 1380 S. Fullerton, UNIT 105
6) Monterey Park: Previously reported Krungtep has shuttered. 500 N Atlantic Blvd #127