Welcome to Meanwhile In SGV a regular feature in which Tony Chen, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Monterey Park: less than a year after the inexplicable traffic accident which obliterated the restaurant, the rebuilding of Mama Lu's #3 is nearly complete. All that's left for the restaurant to reopen is some furniture movement and final permitting. In the mean time, the wait at the other two Mama Lu's is as insufferable as ever. 330 N Garfield Ave
2) S. El Monte: Shau May took over Papi Chicky on December 20. This is the descendent of the original 1986 Taiwanese fast food cafe in Monterey Park which inspired an entire chain of copy cats. According to ownership, despite the similar signage and community misunderstanding, the various Kang Kang and Shau May in Alhambra, Monterey Park and San Gabriel are all unrelated. The house hot and sour is tasty as ever, and comes free with the bento boxes. 9510 E Garvey Ave
3) San Gabriel: Golden Leaf, a Taiwanese restaurant, has opened next to Kingsburg Kitchen. The terse menu includes oyster omelette, stinky tofu, and the ever popular Taiwanese popcorn chicken. 717 W Las Tunas Dr
4) Rosemead: Phu's Bakery has opened at the Vikon Plaza. The Cantonese bakery has affordable old wive buns, taro buns, and egg tarts much like Kee Wah and Diamond Bakery. 9008 Garvey Ave. #D
4) Alhambra: Henry's Cuisine will be replacing the short-lived and much-hated Singapore Leaf. No doubt the space will revert to yet another Hong Kong restaurant like the equally deplorable Face Cafe which Singapore Leaf supplanted. 301 E Valley Blvd
5) Arcadia: Spiceology has taken over Tasty-to-Go. The Taiwanesy menu is nearly twice as large as Golden Leaf's and adds a build-your-own fried rice option. Interestingly, most of the fare isn't spicy. 142 E Duarte Rd