Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Monterey Park: This morning, instead of the typical line, a construction crew was found in front of Delicious Food Corner, where all Harm Lam Kee customers have decamped to since 2011. The restaurant has started a month long nip/tuck, which includes expansion into two storefronts. Expect a much larger kitchen than before and a relaunch on March 1.
2) S. El Monte: Federal Brewing has changed its name to Progress Brewing. After months of litigious threats by The Federal Bar/Knitting Factory Entertainment group, ownership swapped the microbrewery's name. Product offerings are unchanged. 1822 Chico Ave.
3) Monterey Park: Har Lam Kee, a venerable Cantonese breakfast and lunch spot first opened in 1998, called it quits on February 2. Despite multiple attempts at expansion in the recent years, Har Lam Kee has been recently dogged by newer Cantonese breakfast joints and neighboring competition offering cheaper menus. No new outfit has been announced. 168B E. Garvey Ave.
4) San Gabriel: Fat Bull Hot Pot has taken over the unloved Masei Masei space. This is a Sichuanese-style hot potting restaurant dealing heavily in offals: chicken gizzard, pork brain, goose intestine, beef kidney, and tripe are all on the order sheet. An all-you-can-eat special is available at $20. 120 N. San Gabriel Blvd., Ste 1
5) Monterey Park: After a few months of experimentation, Cafe de Baristas is now utilizing its own roasts across the board. CdB joins Taza (Arcadia) and Fresh Roast (San Gabriel) as SGV coffee shops roasting their own beans in-house. 500 N. Atlantic Blvd., Ste 121
6) City of Industry: Xu Garden, the only Guiyang-style Chinese restaurant in L.A., recently opened. So far, the Yelp coverage has been mostly positive. Look for house dishes of sour fish pot, duck gizzard, rice noodle salad, and fried tofu balls. 18508 E. Gale Ave., Ste B