Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Monterey Park, Sawtelle's okonomiyaki specialist Gottsui has arrived in the SGV. The teppanyaki house took over the precious sushi joint Sorafune, which has been barely hanging on for years. After a quick remodel, Gottsui grand opened last Saturday. Some of the staff is indeed from Sawtelle, and beer and wine is pending.
2) Alhambra: Little Swan Bakery, a bakery and tea room, is set to open at the Alhambra Valley Shopping Center next to Cali Mart Market in the next month. At this point construction is ongoing. 1024 E Valley Blvd.
3) San Gabriel: Spice One Hot Pot, which took over Thai-owned American breakfast joint Dandi's Family Restaurant, has been quietly garnering rave reviews since debuting early March. The Sichuan pot specialist features both dry and hot pots, and is currently running a buy two get one free special until April 15. The opening of Spice One proves SGV just can't get enough of that Chengdu spicy and numbing flavor. 533 S Del Mar Blvd.
4) Alhambra: Yazmin, one of the few Malaysian restaurants in LA, closed last September due to owner health issues. In place of affordable kaya toast, Foo Foo Tei, a ramen restaurant from Hacienda Heights, will be taking over. Opening date is set to be this summer. 27 E Main Street
5) Alhambra: Zoe Cafe, which took over Dip's after it relocated to a much larger space in Alhambra, has called it quits. 1412 E Valley Blvd