Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Alhambra: 101 Noodle Express has moved next door to occupy Zoe's Cafe (and previously the original Dip's Grill's) while they revamp their original space. 101v2 has also applied for a liquor license! 1412 E Valley Blvd.
2) Alhambra: the long anticipated Shi Hai Restaurant has opened. The interior is as opulent as a new mega dimsum house in SGV needs to be. The menu features whole roasted suckling pig at $198, a $48.99 "supreme seafood soup", and African abalone. There's an equally impressive dimsum menu. 1412 S. Garfield Ave
3) Monterey Park: Dong Du Hot Pot has taken over Krung Thep. This fanciful hot potting operation is a direct riff of Boiling Point. 500 N Atlantic Blvd
4) Monterey Park: Farm Cuisine, the localvore, farm-to-table Chinese restaurant has reopened after shuttering in March. The healthy, organic Chinese restaurant, previously operated by a doctor, is now serving generic Cantonese food. 122 W Garvey Ave
5) Alhambra: Szechuan Impression has completed the gutting of Ray Ray's Eat to the Beat. Soft opening is slated for July 20th, and spotted were communal hot potting with skewered meats, a popular Chengdu dish 1900 W Valley Blvd
6) Alhambra: The brave Sardinian-Italian neighborhood joint Caffe Italiano has been taken over by Bon Appetea. Per Cafe Italiano's facebook, it is moving to West Los Angeles come September 2014. In the mean time, Bon Appetea is dishing out thoroughly Taiwanese dishes (pork chop over rice, etc.), in addition to fancier pastries and desserts. 7 S 2nd St, Alhambra
7) Alhambra: Mama's Kitchen, the guardian of the powerful grease bomb that is the beef roll with egg, is no more. 1308 E Valley Blvd
· All San Gabriel Valley Coverage [~ELA~]