Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Alhambra: West SGV is getting its first juicery in the form of M Juicery. Jonathan Ma's cold pressed juice shop will also produce "artisan" ice cream. 19 S Garfield Ave, Unit C
2) San Gabriel: BAMBU Desserts & Drinks, the Vietnamese "che"/smoothie shop chain from San Jose, is doing gangbusters at its first WSGV store. The lines are out the door every evening, and the wait rivals Half & Half Tea House. The original shop expanded rapidly after signing a franchising agency in 2011. 432 E Valley Blvd Ste D
3) Alhambra: Singapore Leaf will replace New Tasty. New Tasty, which just hung up new signs this quarter, replaced the rather atrocious Face Cafe. Now it will become Singapore Leaf, a China franchise with over 40 domestic branches. The chain typically presents elaborate "themed" build-outs, so this one will probably be awhiles away. 301 E Valley Blvd
4) Alhambra: Yet another hot potting place has opened in the summer of 2014. This one is called Hot Kitchen, and the novelty here is pricing by the pound. Think: Yogurtland marrying Boiling Point. 1468 E Valley Blvd
5) Alhambra: Element - the Hot Pot Experience - will take over Canoodles. Canoodles brand lives on in a former Noodle World location in Monterey Park. The opening of Elements means at least three hot potting restaurants will debut this summer in the SGV. 46 W Valley Blvd
6) San Gabriel: The original Chung King has been sold. After years of slipping service and stagnant food quality, the highly touted Chung King San Gabriel has been sold to Naoki Matsumoto, per the ABC license application. 1000 S San Gabriel Blvd
7) Monterey Park: Gomaichi, the ramen specialist from Hawaii, has shuttered. 816 S Atlantic Blvd
8) San Gabriel: Niko Niko Tea Bar, which took cover Haige Superstar, is gone. The door's butchered papered, the facebook page has disappeared, and no one's answering the phone. 172 E Valley Blvd.