Welcome to Meanwhile, In SGV a regular feature in which TC, our fearless leader in all things San Gabriel Valley, brings word of restaurant openings, closings, and other unsung, curious neighborhood goings on.
1) Alhambra: Noodle Guy, the widely praised pho restaurant first to popularize "kobe" pho in SGV, has underdone a nip and tuck. New Noodle Guy will grand open on Saturday and it is giving away free drinks to customers. 1257 E Valley Blvd
2) Alhambra: 101 Noodle Express has completed the restaurant expansion, but the beer and wine license in stuck in committee. In the meantime, the menu prices have already increased, and the old clientele is already complaining. 1408 E Valley Blvd.
3) Monterey Park: Yogurt in Love, the first location in Southern California for the franchise, is near completion. The interior was done by Schism Design, and the shop will open next week. Yogurt in Love is headquarted in South Carolina, and has its own line of soft serve machines. The company is known for having up to 200 flavors. 500 N Atlantic Blvd #163
Photos by Wandering Chopsticks
4) San Gabriel: Rangoon Kitchen has taken over Fuji West. Due to customer demand, Fuji West's owners have dropped the old Tokyo Lobby Japanese menu completely. With the legacy dishes completely gone, Fuji West also received a mild interior makeover, a name change, and a temporary new banner. 927 E Las Tunas Dr, Ste J & K
5) Alhambra: Yao's Restaurant will open next week at the old Happy Garden location. Happy Garden trudged on for nearly a year after the owners announced plans to retirement. Yao's operator says the new restaurant will not be Taiwanese like Happy Garden. A beer and wine permit has already been issued and the menu looks to be of porridge and cheung fun. 1277 E Valley Blvd
6) Temple City: Chuan's Restaurant is finally taking over a space left dormant by the closing of Kaya. Seeing 2014 is the year of the Sichuanese cuisine in Los Angeles, Chuan's will be serving Sichuan cuisine along with live stage performances. Beer and wine license has been approved by the city council, but is still pending. 5807 Rosemead Blvd