Julian Cox and Josh Goldman (Soigne Group) are ready to splash onto Santa Monica's dining and drinking scene in a huge way via Brilliantshine. Announced just a few weeks ago and slated to open on August 19, this is the cocktail duo's first owned venture after consulting and building countless bar programs around town. Taking over the historic Renee's Courtyard, Cox and Goldman are building a solid cocktail menu inspired by Cox's travels, plus a surprise chef to handle all the food. Here now, five details on Brilliantshine's upcoming excellence:
1. The cocktails are inspired by Cox's travels through such places as London, Peru, Martinique, Italy, Spain, and Paris. The list will boast craft, small-production spirits, fortified wines, and craft beers.
2. As for ambiance, think rustic seaside saloon. Somewhere you might find a classy beach bum (think James Bond in the early part of Skyfall). There are eclectic pieces throughout the indoor and outdoor space that was once the back part of Renee's Courtyard. Think vintage piano, copper-topped tables, and saloon entry doors. There's room for 20 on the outdoor patio and 26 inside.
3. Fare comes from Paiche's former executive chef, Richie Lopez, who will infuse some Peruvian flavors in dishes like Tai Crudo, sea urchin rice with lobster, and pork belly beet hash.
4. Cox and Goldman have paired up with investors Michael Lafetra and Jerry Baker, who have this to say about the duo's talent: "The expertise and passion that Josh and Julian bring presented a golden opportunity to elevate an already interesting space. Adding the culinary component of Richie Lopez is extraordinary and completes a trifecta of drinks, food and ambiance for a neighborhood like Santa Monica.."
5. The restaurant will run Tuesday to Sunday from 5 to 11 p.m., with a late night menu running from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. Brunch runs weekends 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. while the bar stays open nightly until 2 a.m. Closed Mondays.
· Julian Cox, Josh Goldman Tapping Brilliantshine in SaMo [~ELA~]