And now, a semi-regular update from San Gabriel Valley's vibrant restaurant scene:
1) Monterey Park: The beloved Bollini's Pizzeria, which closed in February, has already received a new sign (in the same exact font as the defunct restaurant) for a new concept. Ravello Osteria will be taking over the old pizzeria, and touts a new "wood fired cooking" style. At the moment, there is no change in the ownership of alcohol license, nor is there any public notice posted on the walls. In addition, there is no update from chef Bollini in any social media outlet to indicate whether he still holds ownership in the new restaurant. 2315 S Garfield Ave
2) Alhambra: Cha Cha Chili, the outrageous Korean-Mexican fusion second effort by Gavin Cha, has shuttered. Cha Cha was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives last June, and before that, on Alan Richman's "Man Finds Food". Still, the newer Alhambra location, just hit by a massive rent increase, simply could not continue even with a beer license. In the meantime, Cha's hilarious Korean short rib chimichangas are still available at the original El Sereno location. Replacing it will be O Young's Rock Pot, the spicy stone pot concept first opened in Temple City last year. 640 W Valley Blvd
3) Alhambra: After years of sitting idle, the space which was vacated nearly 5 years ago by Hop Woo will become Korean barbecue restaurant Road to Seoul. The large restaurant directly across from Edward's Theatre on Main and Atlantic has solicited several efforts in the last few years, but the Koreatown darling seems to be the only entity willing to fork out the rent at this prime corner of revitalized downtown Alhambra real estate. 1 W Main St
4) Hacienda Heights : Tasty Bao has taken over Simply Noodle. The stars of the show here are the 6-color xiao long baos that represent different fillings: "regular" pork filling has white skin, pork and shrimp has red, crab has yellow, fish has purple, vegetarian has green, black sesame as black. The restaurant claims itself as the first restaurant in LA to have multi-color xiao long baos. 17170 Colima Rd
5) Temple City: In addition to Kang Ho Dang Baekjeong and Summer Roll, Pokelicious will be opening at the Carmelia Square. Construction has begun at the 1,490 square feet restaurant, and there will no be beer served along poke. The new poke shack sits literally across the street from another poke shop, ahipoki. Both restaurants received approval from the Temple City planning commission. 5728 Rosemead Boulevard, Unit 102
6) Alhambra: Ernie's Burgers has taken over a defunct KFC. The fast food restaurant is serving a menu of breakfast items and pastrami similar to other roadside burger joints. 2970 W Valley Blvd
7) Alhambra: The city's first build-your-own pizza shack has closed. Pizza Studio just couldn't hack it after Blaze opened less than half a mile down the street last September. 6 West Main St.