What is Jordan Kahn up to today, and how far along is his new high-end dining experience Vespertine? Let’s take a look. This is KahnWatch.
Jordan Kahn needs your help. The quiet, intense chef has big plans to open his new high-minded tasting menu restaurant Vespertine this spring, but he’s looking for some quality kitchen and front of house staff (as is the rest of the industry in Los Angeles at the moment).
To find out a little more about the hiring process, Eater emailed over a couple of questions for Kahn:
- What do you look for most in new kitchen talent?
- Cooks are in short supply everywhere in Los Angeles, so how will Vespertine deal with finding talent in such a thin field of candidates?
- Immigrant restaurant workers are a hot-button issue right now: What's your stance on creating a diverse, inclusive restaurant kitchen?
- What was your hiring process like for Destroyer? Is there a 'type' that fits best for that restaurant?
- Vespertine is slated to be a very high-minded, technique-driven restaurant that could draw a lot of attention from ambitious young cooks. Are you willing to hire and train cooks and chefs who maybe don't quite have the skill set you need yet, but are eager to learn?
Here is the response, reprinted in full:
Vespertine is hiring up very soon, and you can actually apply to email@example.com if you’d like to be considered. It’s easy to see this will be a high-intensity gig that relies on precise techniques and an exacting eye — no physical resume required.
If all goes well, Vespertine should open this spring.