It could be shaping up to be a dark day (or week, really) for tiki fans, as rumor is out that Don the Beachcomber may only have a few days left at its current address in Huntington Beach. The iconic tiki bar is said to be getting pushed out by a landlord keen to flip the property for condos, but that’s unconfirmed so far.
Though reps for Don the Beachcomber have declined multiple opportunities to speak on the record, Eater has heard from several independent sources that the end is near. What’s more, fans have been clamoring for answers all over the company’s Instagram page and beyond, though they so far have refused to give any kind of update.
That being said, things don’t look good. Don’s ownership is currently asking longtime regulars to come pick up their mugs, and a show scheduled to take place at Don’s has been moved to a new location, presumably because of the closure. Tiki fans online are already mourning the closure, and word is the place has been packed in every night since word started trickling out. OC Weekly even commented on the rumors in a story from earlier this week outlining the final show of one Don’s reggae legend Fully Fullwood.
It is worth noting that reps for Don’s have confirmed online that they will be in operation at least through April 1, which happens to be Easter. After that, the fate of the ten-year-old restaurant remains unclear, but the loss would be huge for the greater tiki community in Southern California. The revived Huntington Beach location is also the only remaining Don the Beachcomber around outside of Hawaii, and with the loss of 62-year-old Trader Vic’s in Beverly Hills last year, this one could be particularly painful.