Pasadena’s long-awaited Shake Shack has finally arrived. The popular burger mega-chain has been talking up a new San Gabriel Valley location for two years, but now the smash patties and crinkle-cut fries are here. The new location, which opened yesterday, lands at 750 S. Arroyo Parkway along what is becoming the city’s new dining stretch. Guisados has a restaurant there, Pitfire Pizza and Superba Snacks + Coffee is across the street, and Howlin’ Ray’s is still working on opening a sit-down restaurant about a block away as well. Shake Shack will have plenty of local competition in the burger market, though, given its proximity to Lucky Boy and to Pie N’ Burger, considered by many to be the pinnacle of the Southern California burger style. Shake Shack’s new hours run 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
And in other news:
- Both of Sushi Zo’s locations are also open once again, working an all-outdoor omakase setup in West LA and Downtown, respectively. Over in Santa Monica, Go Get Em Tiger is now open at 2645 Main Street, reports Toddrickallen.
- HomeState is returning to Playa Vista tomorrow, keeping hours from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Expect takeout and delivery only for now. Meanwhile Square One on Fountain returns tomorrow for patio dining and a pared-down menu; hours run 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The Hart and the Hunter is open once again on Melrose, as part of the Palihotel. Expect outside patio dining with a Southern bent and lots of brunch items.
- Nancy Silverton’s new Chi Spacca burger got some love from LA Magazine ahead of that restaurant’s cookbook launch today. Silverton has also partnered with Montilla Meals to do home deliveries of her burger kits around LA on Friday, October 23.
- The Hyatt-owned Mar Monte Hotel in Santa Barbara has a slew of new restaurant tenants inside, including Costa for all-outdoor coastal Italian with ocean views, and Cafe Lido for poolside dining, falafel sliders, oysters, and more.
- Discover’s Eat it Forward initiative has donated $25,000 apiece to five local Black-owned restaurants, including Bridgetown Roti, Toss it Up Salad Bar, Honey’s Kettle, Southern Girl Desserts, and Harold & Belle’s.
- Amazon Prime Day starts today, which means lots of online shopping for those who care. Or, alternatively, lots of pizza buying for those who want cheese and carbs instead. Prime Pizza is doing $1 cheese slices from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at all locations, limited to four per person.