A sad but also endearing story from the LA Times this morning on East Hollywood neighborhood Mexican restaurant El Gran Burrito, which will be closing after 30 years to make way for a large scale affordable housing development. Owners Pedro and Guadalupe Davila plan to close their 24-hour restaurant in the coming months, but share stories of how they were integral parts of a lower-income neighborhood for decades. The pandemic forced the cash-only establishment to limit hours over the past few months, but the Davilas say they are grateful for the opportunity to feed the needy and hungry, guided by their Catholic faith. The incoming 187-unit complex will help ease the housing situation in the city district, which reportedly has around 4,000 people experiencing homelessness.
In other news:
- L.A. Taco reports that just after winning his first NBA championship, Lakers star Anthony Davis went to Michoacan-style birria de chivo restaurant La Autentica Birrieria in North Hollywood to celebrate. After being in the NBA bubble in Orlando, it’s obvious Davis was looking for a taste of LA food.
- Since Halloween is going to be a tough one to enjoy this year, with the pandemic and all, Time Out says E.P. and L.P. has a fun event taking place on the 31st from noon to 2 a.m. with a spooky-themed menu and ambience. Yes, that includes bloody red Aperol spritzes too.
- Monty’s Burger founder Nic Adler has plans to open a vegan pizza slice joint in Silver Lake’s Sunset Junction early next year, reports VegOut LA.
- You can truly never have too many breakfast burritos, according to LAist.
- Eszett in Silver Lake gets a mini feature in LA Magazine this week touting its outdoor dining area and fries.
- Longtime Santa Monica Argentinian restaurant Malbec has closed after 19 years, says Toddrickallen.
- Burgerlords is turning five today, and to celebrate the team is doing a sweet $5 burger box deal complete with a vegan burger, fries, and a special treat tucked inside.
View this post on Instagram
Tomorrow we celebrate 5 Years of being a restaurant. Although we didn't start out as one, we always dreamed about owning a 100% Vegan Burger Restaurant and now we have it. Our house made vegan burger is the backbone of our establishment and still the best thing we serve here. 30 Ingredients, and 5 Years of refinement have made it something truly special. As a thank you, for one day only, we will be offering a $5 "Birthday Box." Each box will contain a vegan burger, fries and a special birthday gift. Available October 15th at both locations, for takeout only while supplies last! #burgerlords #burgerbox #5years