Popular South Bay restaurant A Basq Kitchen, known for its San Sebastian-style pintxos and paellas, as completely flipped during the COVID-19 era. The new-look setup is called A Fish and Friends, and as the name implies the restaurant is now largely focused on seafood, and completely al fresco. What’s more, the city of Redondo Beach has allowed owner Jessica Ibarra to set up shop overlooking the waterfront, with sunset views and sea breezes galore. There’s still paella on the menu on Thursday nights, along with daily options like lobster rolls, fish and chips plates, fish tacos, and more, plus wine and happy hour specials on Thursday and Friday night. It’s a big change for such a small restaurant, but one that keep Ibarra’s restaurant dreams alive as the pandemic moves deep into fall.
And in other news:
- Best Girl has reopened in Downtown, and now the marquee in front of the Ace Hotel is being used as a bar. Hours run 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday through Sunday only, with brunch running Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- A new firefighter-focused GoFundMe has been set up by a group of Pasadena restaurant owners, with plans to raise money that will “go directly towards delicious meal kits... to deserving local firefighters.” Restaurants include Osawa, Perle, Union, Bone Kettle, and Maestro.
- Gino’s East in Sherman Oaks is collaborating with Mary Sue Milliken of Border Grill all month. Stop by to pick up a sweet home chorizo deep dish pizza.
- Kae Whalen has moved on from Kismet in Los Angeles. The award-winning wine lead and Eater Young Gun ‘19 is moving in to a personal project down the line.
- Hilltop Coffee + Kitchen had a big night last night, securing a collaboration with the Lakers and ESPN as part of those companies’ Champion Black Businesses initiative. That meant a screening of a short film around the LA restaurant that aired during last night’s NBA finals, and more marketing to come.
- A popular Orange County chicken restaurant is opening on York in Highland Park soon. Holdaak will set up shop soon two doors down from Block Party along one of the neighborhood’s busiest blocks.