Busy Mexican food restaurant group Tacos 1986 is expanding yet again. This time the team is heading east, landing a new location in the heart of Pasadena by the end of the year. Owner Victor Delgado tells Eater that the small new restaurant will mostly mirror their others around greater Los Angeles (Burbank, Beverly Grove, Downtown, Westwood) with a limited area for customers to order and a compact menu of carne asada, adobada, chicken, and mushroom tacos and the like.
The space at 20 E. Union Street is part of a redone block just off Old Pasadena that has brought in a number of new restaurants like Paper Rice, Main Chick, and Dirt Dog. The city of Pasadena has also embraced al fresco dining along the one-way street, with barriers set up for customers to dine at a distance from restaurants like Union, Perle, and others.
And in other news:
- Openaire, Josiah Citrin’s Koreatown restaurant at the Line Hotel, opens for dinner service and al fresco upstairs seating tomorrow. Expect daily dinner hours and weekend brunch.
- Kismet Rotisserie in Los Feliz is donating all proceeds today to Dine for Democracy to support youth-led voting organizations.
- Koreatown Oaxacan restaurant Guelaguetza is participating in a virtual James Beard Foundation dinner on Sunday, October 18. Interested diners can pay $150 for a three-course meal prepared by the family as part of a kit that also includes wine and whiskey, plus links to cooking demos and more.
- Sourdough bakery Rye Goods is opening a standalone space at Lido Marina Village in Newport Beach next month. The seasonal bakery works with lots of local millers to produce an eclectic mix of baked goods as well as ramen noodles, dumpling packs, and more.
- An all-star pop-up is going down at Highly Likely tomorrow night, with the Bad Jew and Lupa Cotta teaming up with Highly Likely in West Adams and Karen Palmer’s Monday Bouquets to sell pork and lamb pastrami sandwiches, sides, natural wine, and flowers all night long.
View this post on Instagram
(((POP -UP ALERT))) Weds Oct 7th (how the EFF is it already October??) we give you... #FUNKSTRAMI 4pm - sell out at Highly Likely Café. @thebadjew @lupacotta @highlylikelycafe and @mondaybouquets are together (at last) for an epic sando event. Lamb and porkSTRAMI on chewy hoagie bread with fresh salad stuffins. Beautiful bouquets (and so many puns) from @karenlpalmer. Delicious cold beers and natural wines will be flowing! We are encouraging folx to dress UP, because it’s FUN and it’s time to take off those sweat pants. See you soon!! @karenlpalmer