While Southern California (and, really, all of the state) has been somewhat spared from the massive uptick in coronavirus cases during this fall’s long-feared second wave, that doesn’t mean cities like Los Angeles are out of the woods when it comes to COVID-19 this season. In fact, quite the opposite.
“This isn’t a blip any longer,” said LA County Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer on Monday, addressing a steady rise in the county’s total reported cases, hospitalizations, and infection rate. She added simply: “This is now a surge in our cases.” There are currently 888 hospitalizations and a positivity rate of 4.1 percent in Los Angeles County.
California Governor Gavin Newsom aired a similar warning on Monday as well, saying people had been letting down their guard, per the LA Times. In LA County, the rising numbers put a broader reopening further out of reach for many businesses, including restaurants, as the county continues to miss necessary benchmarks for a phased-in reopening. Other counties like Riverside have had to toggle back and forth between allowing some indoor dining and no indoor dining at all as cases there fluctuate, and there is increasing worry that other Southern California counties could soon follow suit. The state announces its weekly tier assignments for reopening every Tuesday.
And in other news:
- Los Angeles Magazine has a handy list of places to enjoy a Philly cheesesteak this week, in case celebrating the city of Philadelphia is on anyone’s mind.
- The former Jaffa space in Palms is set to become a new restaurant called Iron Teapot Dim Sum and Bar, per What Now LA.
- Sunnin Lebanese restaurant has quietly left Santa Monica after five years, reports Toddrickallen.
- Hollywood’s Sightglass Coffee has formally been converted into a new-look marketplace and staple provisions shop. The redesign was unveiled yesterday at the corner space on Sycamore, and includes not just Roman-style pizza and coffee but meat and dairy items, dry goods, and other grocery options.
View this post on Instagram
Get ready LA! Sightglass Marketplace and Coffee Roastery opens tomorrow, Monday Nov 9th! Roman-style pizza, house made pastries, coffee, directly sourced seasonal produce, sustainable meat, dairy and so much more. Discover your new favorite specialty market. 7051 W Willoughby Ave Los Angeles, CA 90038 8am-8pm everyday
- Cindy’s in Eagle Rock is also selling takeaway pies for Thanksgiving. Expect options like pumpkin, tart cherry almond crumble, and more. Each is available for $35, and can be secured by calling the restaurant directly.
- The second brick and mortar location of Bangin Buns should open soon in Huntington Park, near the intersection of Florence and Compton. Ownership says to expect an opening by early December.
- Disney’s California Adventure will reopen some shops and restaurants for limited service starting on November 19, reports the LA Times. The larger amusement park has been shut down for more than half a year as a result of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with little sense of when it may be allowed to reopen.
- Historic Filipinotown bar Genever has partnered up with Wes Avila’s Angry Egret Dinette in Chinatown to offer collaboration sandwiches and cocktails starting this Friday and Saturday night — just be sure to order in advance.
View this post on Instagram
Take a look at this beauty! It’s the “Bollywood And Vine” from @angryegretdinette chef @djwes menu for our Cocktails To Go! Celebrate our first ever woman Vice President Elect, Kamala Harris, with some extra special cocktails and food! Order through our website before midnight on Wednesday 11/11 for pick up Friday and Saturday! We also have delivery available within 15 miles of Genever! #genever #tortas #angryegretdinette #chefwesavila #jamesbeardnominee #michelinbibgourmand #flavorbomb #cocktails #cocktailstogo #drinkingathome #lachefs #losangeleschefs #ladontplay #historicfilipinotown #dranks