Tomorrow, the nation will decide the next presidency, as well as numerous other local races, measures, and propositions. In an effort to aid more than 800 poll workers across 55 different polling centers across LA County, Homeboy Industries will be providing breakfast and lunch for poll workers. Food will be delivered by Feed Hope, a new Homeboy Industries initiative that has delivered more than 150,000 meals to food insecure Angelenos during the pandemic. Amazon Studios is lending some of the finances to boost the effort to feed poll workers, and will continue to partner with Homeboy Industries to work with the local bakery and cafe that provides for LA’s Black and Latinx communities.
In other news:
- The Westside loses an unsung Korean restaurant in Kalbis Grill, which will be replaced by a poke spot, reports Toddrickallen.
- Remember how Santa Monica wanted to ban fast food restaurants from opening on Third Street Promenade? It’s already a temporary measure but a new decision could make it permanent. Yo Venice has a video on the subject.
- Santa Monica Daily Press has a very sweet story on 80-year-old restaurateur Mimi Herbert, who reopened Le Petit Chez Mimi a few weeks ago.
- Here’s another story on the LA food truck situation in LAist, with shout outs to Antidote Eats, the Fix on Wheels, and Eureka Street Food truck.
- The pandemic has created untold anxiety and uncertainty for California’s farmworkers, according to a story in the LA Times last week.
- LA-area hotels are offering some additional perks in time for Election Day, like a ballot drop-off and early voting polling place at West Hollywood’s La Peer Hotel. Those who go to La Peer get a discount on American Flag sliders and a special cocktail. [NBC News]
- How great is it that Hot and Cool Cafe in Leimert Park serves as a polling center?
View this post on Instagram
Let your voice be heard! Hot and Cool Cafe is an official voting center for 2020 elections. Polls are open today from 10:00am to 7:00pm. On election day we are open from 7:00am until 8:00pm. See you there! ✊ #HotAndCoolCafeVoting2020 #voting #everyvotecounts #voteready #vote2020 #ivoted #november #losangeles #la #southlosangeles #community #staywoke