Disney is no longer planning on opening in July, according to multiple reports. The phased-in reopening was first announced last month with a slated date of July 17, but with rising coronavirus cases in Orange County and beyond, ownership is taking a step back. It doesn’t help that a petition circulated amongst fans, with hundreds of thousands signing on to ask that the park stay closed during the continuing pandemic, and that the workers’ union also threatened to keep some employees off the property out of fear for their safety.
Disney has not named a new reopening date, but says that guidance from the state surrounding theme parks won’t be available until July 14 at the earliest, so expect more news after that. The park has already been shut down since mid-March, marking the longest closure in the storied park’s history. Meanwhile, it may be possible to get some of Disney’s most popular dishes like churros and Dole Whips at home soon.
And in other news:
- Cafe de Leche’s MLK mural in Highland Park was defaced earlier this week by an unknown person with a bucket of paint. Thankfully, the artist behind the mural returned the following morning to redo the work.
- Petty Cash is open once again on Beverly, with room for tables right out on the sidewalk. Over in Santa Monica, the Albright on the pier is newly open as well.
- Looking for a tattoo and an espresso at the same time? The new Supersweet Tattoos & Coffee at 1345 Glendale Boulevard in Echo Park has both covered, all with a bright pink and leafy green interior.
View this post on Instagram
Hello from Supersweet Tattoos & Coffee! We’ve had quite a few inquiries about tattoos and are happy to announce we’ll be taking appointments very soon! Keep an eye out for mention of a date in the near future ⚡️ . . . . . . #latattoos #losangelestattoos #losangelescoffee #lacoffee #lacoffeeshops #coffeeshopinteriors @the_shopkeepers @the_interiorshopkeepers #losangeles #echopark #echoparkcoffee #latattooartist #losangelestattooartist
- The Cat & Fiddle on Highland in Hollywood has a whole new setup for reopening, leaning into the hidden patio and even opening the takeout window for loads of fish and chips orders. The window runs Monday through Friday, noon to 3 p.m.
- Perle opens tonight in Pasadena. The relaxed bistro from chef Dean Yasharian, formerly of the Chateau Marmont, leans into staple French flavors like coq au vin, frisee salads, and old world wines, all done with a health and safety kick. The former Harlowe’s French Dip space has been transformed with classic wood touches and distancing measures like Plexiglass dividers. Dine-in service opens tonight at 43 E. Union Street, with a prix fixe takeout menu available as well, starting at three courses for $45. The opening menu can be seen here.