Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti told the New York Times last Friday that more changes to the city’s current reopening phase could be coming in “three to five days,” according to the paper. The detail comes near the end of a long piece on various other city, county, and state leaders and their responses to reopening plans as coronavirus cases spike across the country. So far Garcetti and LA County officials have not themselves called for a roll-back of any previously announced reopenings (as is the case in San Francisco), though on Sunday California governor Gavin Newsom did mandate the immediate closure of all bars in the county — a move the mayor said on Twitter that he agrees with. This, after a reported 500,000 people went out to bars around the county on the first day of reopening.
The NY Times piece goes on to say that LA County officials believe that one in every 400 people may now be infected with COVID-19, making Los Angeles new epicenter for the coronavirus in the United States. “We’re not in the red zone,” Garcetti told the paper last Friday, “but we’re in the yellow zone.”
And in other news:
- Bestia and Bavel are now accepting reservations for dine-in eating in Downtown, beginning on July 1. Over in the Fashion District, Rossoblu’s outdoor area will now also serve menu items from sister pizza restaurant Superfine as well.
- Meanwhile, Salazar scrapped its July 3 reopening plan as coronavirus numbers jump. The Greyhound in Highland Park has closed for the foreseeable future, after an employee tested positive for COVID-19.
- Apparently John Cleese really loves Emporium Thai in Westwood. Here’s the comedy legend and longtime actor chowing down inside, for the third time in two weeks.
- Casual cafe Bolt has opened in Virgil Village, at the base of the mixed-use building on the site of the former Cha Cha Cha.
- New all-vegan bakery Just What I Kneaded is soft open now in Frogtown.
- Pizzeria Mozza is open once again, albeit with a new al fresco look. The team there is calling it Piazza Mozza, and serving outdoors Wednesday through Sunday for now.