Widespread coronavirus outbreaks have hit three different food manufacturing facilities in Los Angeles County, reports CBS LA. The affected businesses are: Golden State Foods Corp. in the City of Industry; S&S Foods in Azusa; and Mission Foods (maker of those Mission tortillas, among other things) in Commerce. Each location has more than three dozen coronavirus cases, with S&S Foods totaling nearly 60 COVID-19 cases. None of the three businesses notified county public health officials, as required.
And in other news:
- Downtown Michelin-starred Japanese restaurant Hayato at the ROW DTLA is bringing back its beloved bento boxes. The daytime option has been seriously hard to score since Hayato first opened, but now the calendar has been cleared, and fans can snag a reservation for a box starting at 10 a.m. on August 1.
- LA Taco has the details on Hangaburs, the new humorously-named smashburger pop-up in El Sereno.
- Osteria Mozza is still feeding out-of-work hospitality folks through the Lee Initiative, with funds from Maker’s Mark. The daytime meals can be picked up noon to 2 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
- Beverly Hills restaurant Nerano has flipped during the daytime to a pizzeria. The weekday-only pies are available to eat on the restaurant’s ample patio from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., along with wine and sides of course.
- Playa del Rey bar and restaurant the Tripel has closed permanently. Chefs Brooke Williamson and Nick Roberts say that “we are left in this moment where normal operations are impossible. We have come to the end of our lease, our landlord is selling the building, and compiled with the health and safety concerns in the communal layout of our dining room we are left in a state of uncertainty that outweighs the possibilities for new lease term negotiations.”
- Off the Menu and Uber Eats have teamed up on a new digital event called the Wing Showdown, where celebrities from Shaquille O’Neal to Snoop Dogg team up with restaurants to show off their own wing recipes. Local and national restaurants will be participating, with Uber Eats acting as the ordering platform for fans who want to try the different options from restaurants in their area. The whole thing starts tomorrow, and runs through August 2.