Not-real news site the Onion thoroughly dragged Los Angeles’s ongoing LA al fresco dining program this week. In a now-viral post and subsequent tweet, the comedy publication led with the fake headline: L.A. Designates Open-Air Dining Areas Along 101 Freeway Median, simultaneously throwing shade at the city’s enduring car culture, the stilted handling of LA Mayor Eric Garcetti’s al fresco program rollout, and those sorta sad new dining tables inside the Glendale Galleria parking structure. And then there’s this closing sentence, naturally: “At press time, Garcetti had placed the initiative on a temporary pause after a 10-car pileup caused widespread delays to brunch orders.“
And in other news:
- Rush Street returns to Culver City tomorrow, just in time for the return of the Lakers. The restaurant is also celebrating its 12th year in business with a menu of all-$12 items.
- Cafe Gratitude has reopened across LA for outdoor, distanced dining. So too has Drago Centro, the popular Downtown Italian restaurant.
- Eataly’s rooftop restaurant Terra is hosting a series of cocktail collaborations, with a portion of proceeds going to restaurant workers in need.
View this post on Instagram
Cocktail connoisseurs, mark your calendars! Terra, our rooftop restaurant, is partnering with beverage experts, bartenders, and distilleries from all across Los Angeles to create unique cocktails for you to try every week. First up, @venturaspirits will be showing off their signature spirits - like @amaroangeleno - on Thursday, August 6 from 5 p.m-9 p.m. Get all the details below This month, we will be hosting @venturaspirits from Ventura, California. Founded in 2011, Ventura Spirits' mission has been to use the natural and agricultural bounty of California's central coast to hand-craft novel and delicious spirits. Join us every Thursday night in August to taste drinks from their experts - from their take on the classic Italian Negroni to a refreshing limoncello cocktail. As if you needed more reasons to enjoy cocktails with us, a portion of the proceeds from each drink sold will be donated to @restaurants_care, who provides financial relief to restaurant workers all across California. Head to eataly.com/terralosangeles to learn more and book your table on @opentable.
- Honey Hi in Echo Park is talking community fridges, and asking out to local restaurants to help stock one nearby with unused food.
- Faith & Flower chef Michael Hung is the next in line to do a delivery-only pizza concept, this one called DTLA Pizza. Don’t worry, there are vegan options as well as salads and sandwiches, too.
- A new opinion piece up on the Long Beach Post, saying plainly that — despite the desire by some to keep food apolitical — restaurants and the items they serve cannot be removed from the histories of the world. That means not only where food originated and where it has led us now, but also the labor practices and shaky commercial underpinnings of much of the restaurant industry at large.
- A bunch of pop-up folks like May Provisions, Radburg and Perilla LA are selling food at Cafe Tropical in Silver Lake this weekend, with a portion of proceeds going to the undocumented restaurant worker non-profit No Us Without You. Drinks will come from Silver Lake Lounge and Sunset Cultures.
View this post on Instagram
On Saturday 8/8, Perilla with @radburgla @sunsetcultures @sashimi1 and @thesilverlakelounge will be teaming up to do an event at Cafe Tropical in Silverlake! We’re donating a portion of our profits to @nouswithoutyou, an organization providing support to undocumented workers in LA. We are offering collaborative boxes available for preorder on Tock, which include food from each vendor as well as kombucha (swipe to see the full menu). Boxes are $100 each and feed 3-4 people. For each box sold we will donate $25 to @nouswithoutyou ❤️ Preorders are open now on Tock and will close on Tuesday (8/4) at 6pm. Boxes are available for preorder only! On the day of the event we will be offering limited items a la carte from each of us, and a portion of those sales will also be donated. Order the day of on Tock for delivery, or call 716-982-5038 to place an order. Swipe for a la carte menu —> *Add cocktails from Silverlake Lounge to your box or to your a la carte orders!!! Times are rough y’all but we’re excited to be supporting each other and supporting our community. Hope to see your beautiful (masked) faces next week!