Earlier this year the famed Montage Beverly Hills flipped to new owners, and now the property’s restaurant side has started up once again. The new Maybourne Beverly Hills — named for the Maybourne Hotel Group that also operates Claridge’s and other upscale hotels — has several restaurants to choose from, including the ground-floor Terrace and Maybourne Bar and Cafe spaces, plus a Rooftop Grill, though dining is limited to the Terrace at the moment. Previously, the ground-floor restaurants were run by Geoffrey Zakarian and, before that, Scott Conant as part of his Scarpetta brand. Upstairs, the former hideaway Ten Pound cocktail bar, known for its rare bottle collection, has been turned into a dim drinking destination called the Cigar Bar, though it’s not open at the moment.
And in other news:
- Here’s a Medium story on the current state of things at Guelaguetza, the beloved Oaxacan restaurant in Koreatown. While the James Beard Foundation Award-winner is hanging on, it hasn’t been easy for the Lopez family or their staff.
- The Tasting Kitchen on Abbot Kinney is reopening tomorrow for open-air dining on a brand new patio. The restaurant will continue to offer to-go and delivery as well.
- Oh boy. Someone on Twitter took a video showing the crowded sidewalk (and street) around La Poubelle in Franklin Village the other night, and now people have been contacting the city of Los Angeles to have them inspect the restaurant for any possible violations, which could ultimately escalate into a fine.
We are never getting out of Covid jail...— Ben Olson (@Bolsonator) August 17, 2020
Fun fact: La Poubelle translates to "the trash can" en francais.
I shot these on Friday 8/14 night a few hours apart.
Feel free to forward to the necessary LA City/County grown-ups.
Taken outside of La Poubelle, Franklin Blvd, LA pic.twitter.com/XGuqpAQfX1
- A few Chinatown shops are teaming up for a pop-up on Saturday. Songbird Cafe will host the event (and offer $6 to-go cocktails) with smash burgers from Lately and ice cream from Scoops, all available from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Jitlada will participate in a cooking lesson over Zoom hosted by the Fowler Museum at UCLA on Friday at 4 p.m. Participants only need to register for the event to get access.
- Fork & Knife, a new restaurant from chef Jonathan Blackford, will open in Costa Mesa in October of this year. Blackford previously ran A Restaurant in Newport Beach, and will be using the current moment of uncertainty to craft a concept that leans into take-out and marketplace staples to start.
- Popular baker Bryan Ford (Artisan Bryan on Instagram) is popping up at the recently-opened Gusto Bread in Long Beach this Saturday, The author of the new cookbook New World Sourdough will be making pan de coco with the crew.
View this post on Instagram
What up LA! I’m coming at you this weekend with a little pop up at @gustobread in Long Beach! Arturo and Ana have worked so hard to get here and they just opened their doors last week! Beautiful influence of Latin American heritage at this bakery. On Saturday we will be slinging some pan de coco. First come first serve. Don’t miss it #losangelesfood #eaterla #longbeachfood