Monty’s Good Burger is now open along busy West Third Street. The all-vegan burger, fries, and shake spot from Nic Adler (Nic’s on Beverly) and Bill Fold opened quietly yesterday after fully remaking the former My Little Dumpling address at 8432 W. Third Street. The growing company now has its fourth location in just two years, starting with a Riverside food hall stand and a Koreatown takeaway back in 2018. In 2019 the company took over the former Lot 1 Cafe in Echo Park as well. What Now LA was first to report the news of the Monty’s Good Burger move to West Third Street.
And in other news:
- The James Beard Foundation Awards are cancelled for this year and for 2021. The non-profit announced the surprising news yesterday, saying that the uncertain nature of the industry has made it difficult to hand out awards this year, and with the 2021 nominations based on this troublesome year, it’s best to just skip right ahead to 2022. The JBFA will spend the intervening months working on ways to create a more equitable and diverse awards system and industry at large, though some like food critic Pete Wells of the New York Times think that — since the awards for 2020 have already been voted on — the winners should still get to earn the hardware. After all, these things matter greatly in restaurant circles, and can help owners and chefs and workers to boost a resume, earn marketing eyeballs, and potentially secure future funding.
- East Hollywood street food vendor Quesadillas Tepexco has started a GoFundMe. Heleo Leyva says that the funds will be used to keep his small family safe during the ongoing pandemic, and to continue to feed those in need through his buy-one, get-one charity initiative.
- Shibumi has been doing to-go bento boxes in Downtown LA for a while now, and this week they’re adding freshly grilled Maine eel to the mix.
View this post on Instagram
New bento alert! Starting this Thursday, we’ll be serving Eel bento! A summer must. Freshly grilled live eel from Maine, on a bed of kyoto style seasoned rice with housemade tsukudani. So every bite will be exciting! Experience the difference of fresh live eel vs coming out of packages! #beshibumi #shibumiquality
- Deadline has more news out on the upcoming Netflix barbecue competition show co-hosted by Kevin Bludso. The show is titled American Barbecue Showdown, and it debuts on September 18.
- A Nikkei-style sushi bar named Mikaza opens August 25 at 542 S. Broadway in Downtown LA. The restaurant comes from Danny Rodriguez of Pablito’s.
- The Shlap Muan chicken wing pop-up is coming to Long Beach this Saturday and Sunday. Click through for menu, prices, and pick-up options.
- Famed Koreatown hangout the Prince is open for outdoor dining, marking the first time the red-tinted late night destination has been open since the start of stay at home orders back in March.