Farfalla Vinoteca e Birreria, the 13-year-old Italian/Brazilian restaurant in Los Feliz, closed permanently on Monday. Owner John Borghetti cited coronavirus mandates and guidelines as the reason, but will focus on a new restaurant that can be more adaptable to the current climate.
Borghetti will continue to operate the remaining three Farfalla Trattorias in Los Feliz, Westlake Village, and Encino. The Los Feliz Farfalla opened in 1988, and Borghetti opened Farvalla Vinoteca e Birreria in 2007, only a few steps away from his original restaurant.
In other news:
- Family-run Honey’s Kettle Fried Chicken appears in Pharrell Williams’ latest music video, “Entrepreneur.” The video spotlights Black-owned businesses throughout the planet, with nods to local restaurants Simply Wholesome in View Park, Leimert Park’s Harun Coffee, Mid-Wilshire’s vegan spot My Two Cents, and Hugh’s Hot Bowls in Baldwin Hills.
- Michelin-starred chef Dominique Crenn opened a vegan delivery-only restaurant last month called VitaBowl.
- Howlin’ Ray’s is back after all staff tested negative for coronavirus, and is available for delivery on Postmates.
View this post on Instagram
ICYMI UPDATE! pls note: our @postmates DELIVERY services will be unavailable for today (FRIDAY) & TOMORROW, as we’ve received confirmation that a member of the crew was unknowingly exposed to covid & has tested positive as of last night. though mostly asymptomatic as of now, they’ll remain in quarantine as long as needed & the rest of the crew will get rapid tests today. we are maintaining strict safety, hygiene & distancing practices daily, but we need to be sure every crew member is cleared & get the shop blasted w/ UV light sabres & BioPURE electrostatic-LY sanitized + certified tomorrow as an extra precaution before we resume any services. thank u all 4 your added support & understanding during this time and 4 trusting us as we navigate the great unknown. will post UPDATES if anything changes! ✨ @foodiswhyimbroke #howlin2020
- Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken’s Santa Monica restaurant Socalo is now open for brunch on Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- After a four month temporary closure, Santa Monica’s 26-year-old Buffalo Club reopened last week with two outdoor courtyards for socially-distant dining. They also launched Sunday Supper.
- L.A. Taco profiled Hawthorne’s Chubby Rice. It’s a challenge to operate any restaurant during a pandemic, though Chubby Rice’s multi-generational, family-run Chinese restaurant in the South Bay has a whole set of challenges.
- HomeState will host its Margarita Showdown on September 5, showcasing the classic cocktail from El Compadre, El Condor, Gold Line, Gracias Madre, Las Perlas, Petty Cash, and last year’s winner, El Carmen. There’s also a killer musical lineup with Questlove, Spoon, and Chicano Batman making appearances. All proceeds go to charity, and pre-order margarita flight tickets go on sale today. Anyone can stream the live event on http://www.margaritashowdown.com/.