Modern Times, the mega-popular San Diego craft beer company, has finally opened its long-awaited Leisuretown project in Anaheim, California. The sprawling 33,000 square foot property was first envisaged back in 2016 as an adult-friendly complex with patio dining, swimming, an elevated lounge overlooking the property, a beer garden, and more — even including a small grocery store and Craftsman event space. While the massive project hoped to open under better circumstances, the truth is there’s still plenty of space to drink at a distance inside the compound and, assuming a better non-COVID-19 future, for friends to gather together before an Angels home game some day. For now, hours are noon to 8 p.m.
And in other news:
- Bistro Gardens at Coldwater has closed in Studio City, ending a 30 year run. “Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the uncertain future of the restaurant industry, it is with great sorrow and emotional upheaval that after 30 years, The Bistro Garden at Coldwater will be closing,” reads the closing notice on social media.
- Check out this brand new documentary made by the Life & Thyme folks called the Boiling Point. The focus is on those makers and doers of the restaurant industry who have been forced to pivot, often multiple times, into roles they never thought they’d have to manage. That includes selling groceries out of All Time in Los Feliz, and the No Us Without You guys doing free meals for undocumented back of house workers.
- Norah is open once again for sit-down dining (albeit outside) in West Hollywood. Take a look at the restaurant’s lush new patio below.
- There are lots of questions and few good answers in the restaurant scene of Southern California right now. Case in point: Long Beach restaurants are asking, loudly, for relief from some of the city’s fees and red tape, but the city itself is already in dire financial straights as a result of the ongoing pandemic and economic shutdown. What to do? Nobody is certain, except to say that it’s hard for all involved.
- Sky’s Gourmet Tacos is expanding into a new cloud kitchen space near USC, with planned delivery and takeout service for South LA and into Downtown. The new spot opens on August 15.
- Employees Only is running a summer social club in the parking lot this summer, with socially-distanced events like food truck pop-ups and wellness events.
- Here’s Chrissy Teigen sharing some of her just-picked-up pizza with the paparazzi that were following her around in Los Angeles. The pies in question? They’re from Pizzana, naturally.