A slight uptick in recent COVID-19 cases “threatens to slow” LA County’s suggested mid-October reopening, reports the LA Times. That’s per Mayor Eric Garcetti, who said late last week that the current moment is “crucial” for Angelenos if everyone wants to begin reopening restaurants and retail sectors in a few weeks. Currently the state’s color-tiered system requires that individual counties meet lowered thresholds for coronavirus data (like positivity rate) for at least two weeks before moving into a lesser tier.
However, even as the county’s numbers have been improving, some worrying upticks like a rise in transmission rate to just over one percent, could put things on further hold. It’s possible that slight increase is related to the Labor Day weekend holiday and increased person-to-person contact, but the next week or so will truly tell the tale. If numbers remain below the state’s threshold, indoor dining in LA County could be just weeks away. Meanwhile, Orange, San Luis Obispo, and Riverside Counties have already returned for limited-capacity indoor dining.
And in other news:
- The LA Times food section has new details on Wolfgang Puck’s upcoming Sunset Boulevard hotel restaurants, including renderings of the inside and news on a rooftop hangout.
- LA Weekly is tracking the goings-on at Angeles Crest Creamery, the popular goat farm/Airbnb stay that has been directly in the path of the Bobcat fire. The place needs financial help after evacuating all the livestock, and is still assessing the total damage.
- Birdie G’s has a new chef de cuisine: Matt Schaler, who has worked with the crew since opening. Here’s Jeremy Fox showing praise to the new CDC.
View this post on Instagram
I am very excited and proud to announce Matthew Schaler @mattschalerofficial as the new Chef de Cuisine of @birdiegsla! Matt was the lone non-Rustic Canyon alum on the opening kitchen management team, and he got there by blowing us away with his initial tasting. Over the last year and a half, Matt has shown great maturity, strong leadership, a calm and fair demeanor, and brings a unique passion for cooking along with mental wellness to the table. Other than the time it took him and @jeremiahlacsamana 8 hours to assemble a set of staff lockers, it’s been pretty smooth sailing. Plus, NOBODY has better food puns. Together with Jeremiah, @baked_turtle and the rest of the team, I can’t wait to see what this kitchen has up it’s sleeve as the end of 2020 slowly approaches. Please help me in congratulating Chef Matt! #stairwaytoleaven
- Here’s a great look at owner John Borghetti of Farfalla in Los Feliz. The laid-back Italian spot has a unique opening story, and just like everyone else is trying to stay ahead of the coronavirus these days.
- Chef Bernhard Mairinger, formerly of the Austrian powerhouse BierBeisl in Downtown LA, is popping up at Market Tavern inside the Original Farmers Market on October 2 and 3.
- Ugo Cafe has disappeared quietly from Santa Monica Place, reports Toddrickallen.
- Cosa Buona is doing some daily deals, including 10 percent off all food every day from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.