There’s a new tenant in the former Kogi Taqueria space in Palms: El Barrio Neighborhood Tacos. The Redondo Beach restaurant quietly got up and running over the weekend, and is now live on the usual delivery apps. The newcomer works a pretty straightforward menu of tacos, burritos, mulitas, and more, with other options like a roasted cauliflower version of esquites available too. Kogi Taqueria, meanwhile, acted as an offshoot of the popular Kogi BBQ trucks, complete with kimchi quesadillas and short rib tacos. Choi closed Kogi Taqueria in June after a four-year run, but like the still-closed Chego says that he has plans to reopen the restaurant elsewhere someday.
And in other news:
- The mobile Coffee Cube folks say that their bright red trailer was stolen in Burbank a few days ago, and they’re hoping for a safe return if anyone has any leads.
- Meanwhile further south, Black Ring Coffee and others are leading a small restaurant renaissance in north Long Beach says the Long Beach Post.
- Goldburger, the longtime burger pop-up around town, has gone permanent at its Highland Park space on York. In an Instagram post this morning, owner Allen Yelent says that he’ll be at his tiny blue takeaway for the long haul.
View this post on Instagram
Next month was supposed to be the end of our time here, but instead how about we stick around for a while longer. I’m excited to let you all know that our current pop-up location is now our very first *permanent* restaurant. It’s perfect for the current times and allows us to provide you with easy and safe socially distanced take out and delivery, but as you can see from the rendering above we’re going to have a small patio for you sometime in the hopefully not so distant future. I couldn’t think of a better location and building that hits my goals of being a neighborhood and classic LA burger joint. ———— Thank you to the wonderful people @parsnipcafe for giving me this chance in the first place, as well as my awesome landlady (and owner of @boulevardhairstyling next door). Endlessly grateful for all the folks who let me text them constantly at all hours to ask for advice or to just act as a sounding board for all my random thoughts. It’s been an insane journey these last few years and thanks to all our customers and regulars for supporting us— truly wouldn’t be here without ya.
- Resy has a new collection of classic restaurant stories to dive into, from the folks at El Tepayec to El Coyote Roscoe’s Chicken & Waffles. You can check them all out here.
- Tactile Coffee has formally closed in Historic Filipinotown, saying that COVID-19 “served more to expedite the process of our closure rather than to determine this decision.”
- Patty’s Cakes in Fullerton is turning ten years young, no small feat for a shop that opened during the height of the cupcake craze. The popular spot also does birthday and wedding cakes, cookies, ice cream, and the like.
- Want to know what it’s really like to run a restaurant that is doing takeout and delivery only, but still has all the same costs as before? Andrea Borgen of Barcito breaks it down in a new Instagram post below, and the numbers are... difficult.