In broad daylight at 2 p.m. on Thursday, a woman dining at Celestino Drago’s Il Pastaio was shot in the leg during a robbery. The victim was a bystander as three masked men targeted another diner’s valuable watch.
The Beverly Hills Police Department told CBS-2 that the suspects were after a customer’s expensive Richard Mille watch valued at $500,000. As the victim dined on the patio with two other guests, three men approached a separate man eating a meal. They allegedly demanded his watch and a struggle ensued. The victim’s boyfriend tried to shield her while rushing inside, but she was injured by a ricocheted bullet. The three suspects fled and another woman was hurt with unspecified injuries as they left the premises. The gunshot victim was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Celestino Drago owns multiple restaurants throughout Los Angeles, including Celestino Ristorante in Pasadena and Drago Centro in DTLA.
The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating a similar crime that occurred at the Beverly Grove location of Toca Madera on March 2. The alleged robbers took personal items including handbags, watches, and jewelry. Investigators said it is still unclear if the two crimes are connected.
Gun-related robberies are on the uptick in some West L.A. neighborhoods next to Beverly Hills, reports the Los Angeles Times. But they’re also happening further east. In early February, an armed man allegedly stole chicken and waffles from the Pasadena Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles.
FAIRFAX - W 3rd St x S Croft Ave - ❗️Armed robbery at Toca Madera tonight. One suspect wearing a white hoodie,red-green fanny pak and 2-3 other men robbed customers of jewelry and fled on foot EB 3rd and out of view reportedly. #robbery #Fairfax @melroseaction #crimenews pic.twitter.com/fbJytOjfsv— Semibluff (@uk7777777) March 3, 2021
In other news:
- Watch out Postmates and Uber Eats, there are new competitors in town. A new crop of restaurant delivery apps designed to bypass the majors is attracting Los Angeles restaurants, reports the Los Angeles Times.
- Long Beach city officials invited food service workers to get vaccinated today at the Convention Center from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The city is taking a fast-track approach to vaccinating essential workers, reports NBC-4.
- Nearly half the population of Ethiopia are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians who traditionally eat vegan on Wednesdays, Fridays, and other fasting days. VegOut Magazine scoped six restaurants in LA where plant-based menus are a longstanding tradition.
- The Los Angeles City Council finalized its hero pay ordinance, where grocery store workers will receive an additional $5 per hour for the next 120 days, reports the Daily Breeze.
- Fia Santa Monica launches a garden brunch this weekend with an all-inclusive brunch at $59 per person. That price includes a choice of bottomless mimosas, Modelo Especial or margaritas. Here’s the full menu.
- Woman shot in the leg at Il Pastaio in Beverly Hills [CBS-2]