Sawtelle French pastry specialist Farid Azarang has opened a second location of Artelice in Burbank with his brother Saeed and another partner named Kambiz. The upscale new bakery and retail space will act as the company’s new central location, allowing for more production and greater reach across the city. Artelice is well known for its impeccable desserts and viennoiserie, and has previously worked events like the Grammys in Los Angeles.
The new location at 117 N. San Fernando Blvd. was a complete COVID-19 build-out, only opening wide in February and now keeping hours from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday to Sunday. “With two locations and a loyal following of pastry fans and well wishers, we can’t wait to see what the future hold for us,” Azarang tells Eater. “For now, nothing makes us happier than the look of pure joy on our customers faces peeking behind their masks.”
In other news:
- The California Restaurant Foundation has launched a COVID-19 relief fun for female and BIPOC-owned restaurants (and others) in LA County. The $1.25 million Restaurants Care Resilience Fund is a partnership with power companies SoCalGas, PG&E, and SDG&E, and provides up to $3,500 for single-location restaurants, excluding Long Beach. Applications are open from April 11 to 18.
- Orange County restaurateur John Ghoukassian of Bayside and Bistango has died at 84. Ghoukassian was a longtime restaurant operator, and is survived by his wife Diana and children Marc and Karyn.
- Wexler’s Deli has partnered with local favorite King’s Hawaiian on a new ‘aloha reuben,’ offered on King’s Hawaiian bread with caramelized pineapple. Check out all that goodness below.
- Heavy Handed burger truck is now going semi-permanent at the Brig in Venice. It’s a return for ownership, who used to pop up in the parking lot prior to the truck, and will sling burgers from Thursday to Sunday.
- The LA Times has been following the TikTok cooking boom during the pandemic, including from folks like Brandon Skier who formally worked at Redbird and Auburn. Skier turned to TikTok after being laid off, and now has nearly 1.5 million followers.
- British pub Market Tavern is launching brunch this weekend, with dishes that range from staples like roast beef and horseradish to a full English breakfast, pastries, avocado toast, and more.
- Halle Berry loves all things Calabama in East Hollywood. Check out her Instagram video of the famous breakfast sandwich bucket drop below.