There’s a new Shake Shack hitting the shores of greater Los Angeles in the next few days — and no, it’s not the one at Dodger Stadium where an In-N-Out or Tommy’s should probably be instead. The newest burger and chicken shop is hitting Santa Monica on Sunday, April 18 at 501 Wilshire Boulevard, on the corner of Wilshire and 5th inside a former Panera Bread. Hours run 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, with an extension to 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, and for opening day on April 18, Shake Shack will donate one burger for every burger purchased to the Westside Food Bank.
The restaurant was completely built, from planning department meetings to construction, during the ongoing pandemic, and now includes a permanent walk-up window and holding shelf for food ordered ahead of time via the company’s app — something the Shake Shack team has hinted may become a normal addition to future build-outs post-pandemic. This location specifically will also start using sustainable non-plastic silverware from Restore Foodware, which makes sense given Santa Monica’s longstanding ban on non-marine-degradable food service ware (think utensils, packaging, bags, etc.).
In other news:
- The 1933 nightlife group is beginning a broad reopening of its many bar properties. Highland Park Bowl opens today, followed by La Cuevita on April 16 and Oldfield’s on April 17. Bigfoot Lodge and the Thirsty Crow are still to come.
- Taste of the Eastside is back April 23 -25, with participants creating off-menu items for diners at their restaurants (or for pickup and delivery). 25 percent of all proceeds from the dishes at Sogo Hand Roll Bar, Go Get Em Tiger, Pocha, Momed, Tabula Rasa Bar and the others will go to No Us Without You.
- Chicas Tacos is opening May 5 inside of the Whole Foods in Venice Beach. Here’s the teaser announcement, with more to come (including specific menu items for that locations).
- Ziv has taken over inside Highland Park’s La Tropicana Market, selling breakfast burritos, sandwiches (like a chile relent grilled cheese), and more.
- Chef Jos van Hengel, previously of Alinea, Michelin-starred Parkheuvel in Rotterdam, and the Hotel Del Coronado, is now the chef de cuisine at Morgan’s in the Desert, the upscale restaurant at the La Quinta Resort & Club in greater Palm Springs.
- The Platform development in Culver City is bringing in more pop-up stars for on-off events, including May this weekend and Flatpoint BBQ next weekend. Meanwhile, down the street, Simonette is reopening April 15 at the Palihotel in Culver.
- Japan House is back in Hollywood, and this time they’re partnering with chef Kuniko Yagi (Pikunico) for a series on at-home cooking. Check out the first video here.
- Gelateria Uli is celebrating seven years today, in part by giving out $7 pints of gelato all day long.