Legendary LA burger stand Irv’s is returning for a one day pop-up thanks to Off the Menu on May 28 at Employees Only in West Hollywood. Irv’s closed in November 2018 after originally opening in 1946. From 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., Irv’s owner Sonia Hong will serve the stand’s double cheeseburger and fries, plus merch and bottles of Stella Artois. Prices run $8 for the burgers, $4 for fries, and $6 for the beer, plus $25 for an Irv’s Hat and $35 for a limited edition Irv’s shirt. And of course Sonia’s famous hang drawings on paper plates will be part of the experience at Employees Only’s outdoor space, which they call Summer Social Club. Make a reservation for Irv’s on Resy here.
In other news:
- A new barbecue competition called BBQ, Boots, and Brew comes to the SoCal Railway Museum on May 22, with tickets selling for $35, which includes parking, two barbecue tastings, train rides, and two beer tastings. Pick up tickets here.
- The LA Times reports that at least two-thirds of California’s population is now partially vaccinated, which opens the door to a fuller reopening scheduled across the state on June 15.
- Lounge Pizza from Zach Negin and Steven Acosta at Silver Lake Lounge is now serving every week from Wednesday to Sunday with New York City-style slices and pies.
- L.A. Taco reports on a new chilaquiles carnitas burrito on Olympic Boulevard’s budding taco row from Carnitas Los Dos Chingones by taquero Carlos Escobar.
- Time Out LA says Echo Park Lake plans to reopen on May 26 after a controversial two-month closure and major repairs that resulted in the removal of a homeless encampment. No word on whether the vendors would be allowed to return to service there.
- Pop’s Bagels has an incoming Brentwood location with a low-key opening this weekend at 11928 San Vicente: